So 2014 was … eventful, to say the least. Hopefully, we all know about the Mike Brown case, resulting
bullshit verdict, and the still-ongoing protesting (which I 110% support btw). There were also the Hong Kong protests, the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, the Leelah Alcorn suicide, the cases of Eric Gardner and Tamir Rice, Jennifer Laude’s murder, the kidnapping of 300 girls in Nigeria who are still missing, the Taliban attack on a school in Peshawar, Pakistan, and a fuckton of a lot more. But hey, there was a lot of positive stuff happening too. 21 states in the US got equal marriage rights, 5 other states’ appeals are pending, representation of POC and LGBTQ+ people in the media has gotten a bit better… Personally, 2014 was a very mixed year for me. On one hand:
- I cut my hair
It went from this
and I really really like it tbh.
- I got much gayer
- one of my sugar gliders had twins and is pregnant with another one oh god
- Florida’s getting same-sex marriage on Jan. 5th and I am so. Happy. (to all of you newbies, I live in FL and this will be a very happy day)
- my drawing improved a lottt (it’s still terrible though)
- my writing also improved a lot (I am ridiculously happy about this)
- I read a grand total of 46,419,341 words this year. At least, that’s everything I’ve managed to log.
- I came out to a lot of people about my sexuality and mostly everyone’s chill about it
- I came out to less people about my gender and less mostly everyone’s chill about it
- I learned how to wirework, sort of:
- my best friend and I went to Metrocon and it was great:
- my family got annual passes for the Universal Studios park in Orlando and it is awesome
- I finished NaNoWriMo with 630 words over my goal
- my poetry got a hell of a lot more powerful
- I joined my school’s GSA and man is it great
- I met a ton of wonderful people and learned more about a lot others
- I made these dragonscale gloves for the wonderful Andy:
- I dated my first girlfriend (she dumped me but it was a fun few months)
- Engie got me into Game of Thrones and it is wonderful
- I became much less of a terrified gay baby than I was at the beginning of this year
- I’m a QTPOC and, for the first time, I’m beginning to feel proud of it.
On the other hand:
- I found out after a loud, semipublic argument that my dad is a racist, generally xenophobic person
the Leelah Alcorn thing hit me hard tbh, and it’s because I can see similarities between us
- after extensive deliberation I have concluded that my parents will probably not take my coming out well at all and have decided that I’m going to wait.
- a suicidal friend of mine disappeared for almost 2 weeks and fuck it was worrying
- I suspect I failed my geometry EOC (god that EOC was hard)
- I failed to acquire any glittery Lush bath bombs
- I got yelled at a lot whoops
- my anxiety became very not fun
- something happened between me and my best friend that shouldn’t’ve happened and I’m kinda worried about it
There were a lot of ups and downs, and both were pretty extreme in some cases. I’m kinda scared to see what this year’s got in store. But (and this is really stupid but) idk man this song summarizes my feelings about 2015.